Barbours plead guilty to murder

elytte

SUNBURY – A newlywed couple will not get the death penalty after admitting to stabbing a Port Trevorton man to death.  19-year-old Miranda Barbour and her husband 22-year-old Elytte Barbour plead guilty Tuesday to killing 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara. In exchange for their pleas, the death penalty was taken off the table and both will receive a mandatory sentence of life in prison.  Formal sentencing for both will be held next month.  According to Northumberland County District Attorney Ann Targonski, not holding trial for the Barbours will likely save the county nearly $1 million. The incident happened in November, and Sunbury Police Chief Brad Hare says the department has been working tirelessly since then, “The case…

Miranda Barbour confession ‘okayed’ for court

barbour1

SUNBURY — A Northumberland County judge says that prosecutors can use 19-year-old Miranda Barbour’s confession in court. Barbour’s attorney wanted the confession thrown out because she did ask for an attorney, before confessing to murder. Barbour and her husband, 22-year-old Elytte Barbour, are charged with stabbing and strangling to death 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton in November 2013, after Miranda Barbour coordinated a meeting with LaFerrara on Craigslist. A public defender tried to get the December confession thrown out, arguing Miranda Barbour was not provided an attorney during questioning. Prosecutors said Barbour was not given a public defender during the interview because she had come to the state police barracks voluntarily, and was not…

Barbour’s day out in court

barbour

SUNBURY – A photo of the knife allegedly used in the death of 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara was shown as part of evidence in Northumberland County Court Tuesday.  Judge Charles Saylor will make some decisions soon regarding accused killer 19-year-old Miranda Barbour.  Barbour was in court on two pre-trial motions.  Her defense attorney wants a search warrant of Barbour’s home thrown out, saying there were errors in the warrant that was issued by Sunbury Police.  Northumberland County District Attorney Tony Rosini argues that a mistake of an address in the search warrant did not hinder officers’ abilities to search Barbour’s residence. In December, Barbour’s husband, 22-year-old Elytte Barbour had told police there was a knife in…

Barbour’s to be in court Tuesday

barbours

SUNBURY — The couple accused of killing a Port Trevorton man will be in court Tuesday.  Miranda and Elytte Barbour face separate pre-trial hearings in Northumberland County Court. A confession suppression is being sought by 19-year-old Miranda Barbour’s attorney.  The defense attorney wants her confession of murder to Selinsgrove State Police thrown out, because, although she was read her Miranda Rights, she was not given a lawyer.  The prosecution argues that Barbour was not in custody at the time, so she did not have the right to a lawyer. 22-year-old Elytte Barbour will be in court to determine if he is competent to stand trial.  The newlywed couple is charged with strangling and stabbing to…

Defense: Miranda’s confession illegal

miranda

Barbour leaves Northumberland County Courthouse May 6: SUNBURY – Attorneys want the confession of an alleged murderer thrown out.  That is why 19-year-old Miranda Barbour was in court Tuesday.  After six hours of testimony, there was no determination made, but Northumberland County Judge Charles Saylor requested both the defense and prosecution submit briefs before the next pre-trial hearing in June. Barbour, charged in the stabbing death of 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton, was in court Tuesday and remained quiet for much of the time, answering only a few questions from her attorneys. The defense’s position is that Barbour asked for an attorney several times during her interviews with police, but was never appointed one. …

Pre-trial hearing underway for Barbour

miranda

SUNBURY — 19-year-old Miranda Barbour is in Northumberland County Court today on another pre-trial motion for the death of 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton. On the stand so far today was Snyder County District Attorney Mike Piecuch who testified on his involvement with the case.   Piecuch says he was called to the Selinsgrove State Police Barracks in the early morning hours of December 3rd after Miranda Barbour had come to the station. Piecuch said Miranda stated that she wanted to make a statement but she was uncomfortable doing so without a lawyer. Piecuch told her she was not entitled to a lawyer because at that point, she hadn’t been charged with anything.  …

Sunbury police chief: We take all allegations and leads very seriously

miranda

SUNBURY — The national attention gained by the newlywed killers in Sunbury soared over the weekend following a jailhouse interview. 19-year-old Miranda Barbour of Selinsgrove told Daily Item reporter Francis Scarcella that 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton was not her only victim.  “She said you can ask questions and I’m going to answer them,” said Scarcella.  “I said there is a lot of people out there wondering have you ever done this before?  Her exact response to me was, less than 100 times.”  During the interview Barbour said she had previously killed at least 22 people across the country as part of her involvement in a satanic cult. Sunbury Police Chief Stephen Mazzeo says…

Request granted for Barbour psychiatrist

court-hammer-gavel1

SUNBURY – A request to have a forensic psychiatrist interview Elytte Barbour has been granted by Northumberland County Judge Charles Saylor. The murder suspect was in court yesterday after his attorney Jim Best of Sunbury asked to have an expert evaluate the competency of Barbour. The evaluation could cost the county about $10,000.   Barbour is charged with the murder of 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton, along with his 19-year-old wife Miranda Barbour. Elytte Barbour is incarcerated at the Columbia County Prison. Miranda Barbour remains in the Northumberland County Prison and was scheduled for a pre-trial court hearing today, but that proceeding was postponed. (Ali Stevens) Follow

Sunbury police search murder suspects home

popo

SUNBURY – Sunbury police spent more than two hours Thursday searching the home of Elytte and Miranda Barbour, who are accused of stabbing and strangling to death 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton. Police arrived at the home on North Water Street in Selinsgrove around 4:30 p.m. and confiscated boxes and bags from the home.   Police have not indicated what they have removed from the home. This is the second time they have searched the home following the murder in Sunbury on November 11th. Both Miranda and Elytte Barbour have court hearings next week for their roles in the murder. (Ali Stevens) Follow

Newlyweds just wanted to kill

homicide

SUNBURY — Newlyweds Miranda and Elyette Barbour had tried to kill others before, but the plan didn’t work out.  So says the criminal complaint that details  the stabbing death of 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton. The North Carolina couple, who had just recently moved to Selinsgrove, strangled and stabbed LaFerrara November 11, before leaving his body along Catawissa Avenue in Sunbury. “If the affidavit is correct, they just wanted to kill somebody together on the gentleman’s birthday.  The girl advertised on Craigslist, she met LaFerrara and they arranged for a meet.  They met with him and stabbed him to death,” says Sunbury Police Chief Steve Mazzeo. Miranda Barbour was arrested Tuesday and is in…